Construction Project Management- A Life Cycle Approach
Instructor: Dr. Moe Elbarkouky, Ph.D., P.Eng., PMP, Project Management Training Solutions Ltd.
Class Duration: 1 Day
When: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Where: RCA Training Room
Member Cost: $350.00 (+GST)
Non-member Cost: $550.00 (+GST)
Early-bird registrations, received ten (10) days prior to the course date, will receive a reduced rate of $50.00 per full day.
Early-bird Date: October 27, 2018
Registration Deadline: October 30, 2018
Course Description One Gold Seal Point
The goals of this one day workshop are to provide the participants with the essential knowledge, skills, and techniques to plan, organize, manage and control simple and complicated construction projects using a standardized project management life cycle approach. Basic project management and control essentials are presented throughout the project life cycle from project conception to project closing; such as scope, time, cost, risk, HR, change, and quality management. Essential project planning and control tools are introduced, such as the critical path method (CPM) for project scheduling, the earned value analysis (EVM) for cost control, the net present value technique (NPV) for alternative analysis, and the decision tree analysis for risk quantification. The basic objective of the workshop is to combine management fundamentals with practical tools to enable the participants to manage and control their projects effectively.
This one day workshop can be taken separately, but it can also provide a great introduction to the following workshop series:
Construction Scheduling for Site Supervisors
Cost Control and Budgeting for Site Supervisors
Construction Risk Management
After attending this workshop, the participants shall:
- Understand the need to create a construction project charter during project initiation by filling out its basic components through a practical example
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of different construction contracts, forms and construction project delivery systems
- Learn the basic roles of the construction project manager in managing and integrating projects and basic HR management skills
- Create the work breakdown structure (WBS) and use it as the basis for effective estimation and scheduling of project activities through practical examples
- Create and read bar (Gantt) charts and node networks, activity sequencing, and estimating durations using a variety of techniques through practical examples
- Understand the basics of resource management and establishing a resource responsibility matrix (RAM)
- Learn the basics of project risk management from the creation of the risk breakdown structure to planning and controlling risk responses
- Use forms and reports in managing issues, risks and changes
- Control projects using the Earned Value Management (EVM) to manage time and cost performance
- Understand the basic needs for project closing from scope verification to project post-mortem
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is intended for construction trades individuals, supervisors, superintendents, and managers who are involved in planning, executing, and monitoring and controlling construction projects to help better plan, manage, and control medium to large sized construction projects. Basic understanding of project management knowledge is not required.
Dr. Moe Elbarkouky, PhD, PEng., PMP – Project Management Training Solutions LTD
Dr. Elbarkouky is an expert in construction project management and control. He has more than 20 years of practical experience in his field of practice. He managed and controlled a large number of complex projects in Canada, the U.S., Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. He has extensive experience of oil and gas, power plants, infrastructure, and building construction projects. Dr. Elbarkouky has a Ph.D. in construction engineering and management from the University of Alberta. He is also a Professional Engineer in Alberta and a Project Management Professional (PMP) of the PMI. He is the CEO of a project management training organization that is specialized in teaching professional and academic courses in project management, risk analysis, contract administration, scheduling, cost estimation, and project planning and control in Alberta, Saskatchewan, BC, and NWT.
To Register Click Here